Thursday, November 5, 2009

Platelet Count

I'm happy to report that my platelets are still holding steady at 69,000. A normal person has a platelet count of about 150,000 – 450,000. This is totally above average for me – I'll never see that!. My all time low was at 4,000 1 ½ years ago. My ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura) has been stabilized for the past 6 months after chemotherapy. I had undergone 6 rounds of Rituxan, which is used for the treatment of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (I don't have cancer). It seems to have worked. I was worried for a while, as my platelets weren't improving; but after the last treatment I really saw them start to climb. Now I'm even off of prednisone all together! What a celebration that was. I had been on various doses of prednisone non-stop for the past 3 years. Now I see my hematologist only once a month as we still must be vigilant and keep a close eye on my platelet count. He says that I'm running on about 1/4 of a tank of gas, but that won't hurt my "car". But I'm feeling good, all my other autoimmune issues are stabilized right now, and my hubby still has a job (praise the Lord!) - so I'm looking forward to a joyous holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment