Friday, December 31, 2010

Something is A-fowl



Today I am roasting a turkey. I know it is not Christmas Day or even Thanksgiving Day - the usual turkey days. But I have a 7 pound bird that my stepdaughter raised and slaughtered that needs to be cooked or frozen. Since I have no room in my freezer, I will have to cook it. So I asked my 23 yr. old son over for supper tonight to join in the feast. I looked up on the world-wide-web how to cook a turkey, since this one comes with absolutely no instructions. I gathered that a bird of about 7 lbs. (give or take a couple) should roast at 350 degrees for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I will need to keep checking the internal temperature of the bird to make sure it is done. There is no convenient pop-up thermometer (darn-it!).

First I had to wash the bird real good and make sure all the feathers were disposed of. My stepdaughter had the gruesome job of de-feathering the birds at slaughtering time, but she did leave a few for me to pick over. :) Then I had to tie up the legs and tuck under the wings. I then buttered up the bird and salt and peppered it. I went ahead and put a little bit of water in the pan to keep the bird moist, even though some instructions say this is not necessary. My bird is just plain and simple. Salt, pepper and an oven. That's it. Clean-up was more work than turkey preparation. I had to use soap and water on everything the turkey touched - the sink , utensils, etc. I kept having to wash my hands before I touched something else or I would contaminate it. But it was all worth it - the bird tasted fantastic!




My side dishes are brussels sprouts, and homemade mashed potatoes with gravy. I made a COCONUT CREAM PIE (click for recipe) for dessert, which was very simple to make, and quite delicious I might add. Now you might think the fuss is all about cooking this darn turkey - but no!  What I want to know is....what do I do with all the darn leftovers???? 

2 comments:

  1. hI

    The ebook i read about turkey making gave me some great ideas what to do with the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love leftovers...sandwiches, sprinkle chopped meat atop a pizza, soup, rice dishes, throw in with some pasta...freeze the rest in individual bags to thaw for a quick meal later.

    Wishing you a very Happy New Year ahead!

    ReplyDelete