Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hypothyroidism


So now I’ve been diagnosed with yet another autoimmune condition – Hypothyroidism. Yes, I already knew I had this illness; I’d actually been diagnosed back in ’98. I just never really carried through with any type of treatment. It has always been on the back burner as the “forgotten” condition. I had plenty of other, more important, conditions to think about. Let’s see…..there’s the Lupus, the Autoimmune Hepatitis, the Fibromyalgia, the Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP)…..I even had to undergo some chemo last year for the ITP. So you can see how easy it would be to just “forget” about the least offensive ailment for the time being. At least, that was my rationale.

But now I’m at a place where I seem to have all my ailments under control. They seem to be behaving and I’m taking all my meds like a good girl should. J I feel that I’m at a good place right now and that I am able to add on another regime. You see, it’s not taking just another pill with the others I already take. If that were true – how easy would that be? No – this regime is a little different and requires some dedication.

I must take the medication first thing in the morning, by itself, at least 30 minutes before eating. So that means that I’ll have to take my meds twice in the morning. This is because we don’t know how all these meds would react with each other, so it’s best to take them separately. I agree. I started this morning, and I think that once I have a routine established, I will be okay. So now I take my meds 3 times a day - twice in the morning, and then at night.

I really want this to work. I learned that hypothyroidism is linked to depression, and since I battle with depression, it will be in my best interest to treat the hypothyroidism. My depression can only improve. How great will that be? I’m really excited to be talking about this and I have high hopes for my future. My Endocrinologist is super and I look forward to a great working relationship with her.  I’ll keep you all updated on my progress. J


Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
·         Fatigue
·         Weakness
·         Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
·         Coarse, dry hair
·         Dry, rough pale skin
·         Hair loss
·         Cold intolerance (you can't tolerate cold temperatures like those around you)
·         Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
·         Constipation
·         Depression
·         Irritability
·         Memory loss
·         Abnormal menstrual cycles
·         Decreased libido




4 comments:

  1. Holy Cow, Girls.
    I have a friend with a mess of illnesses. She is always so up-beat. I don't know how you can do it. I don't know if I could handle it. You are very impressive. Thank you for sharing. You will be in my prayers.
    Hugz...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you have this illness. I hope you will start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been treated for hypthyroidism for ten or so years. Taking the medicine does take some thought. Sounds like you have a good start. Just remember to take it consistently.
    I had a 12 day period once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have switched to a natural thyroid supplement that releases more slowly so I don't wake up exhausted. But desiccated porcine capsules are still great, I personally just needed something stronger and that wasn't used up quite so quickly.

    ReplyDelete